Restorative, nourishing, and filled with age-defying collagen, bone broth can be an immensely valuable addition to the keto diet. Here is everything you want to know about keto bone broth.
What Is Bone Broth?
Bone Broth is a savoury, nutrient-dense liquid made by roasting and then simmering animal bones (chicken, beef or pork) with water, and sometimes vegetables, for a long period of time.
Can We Have Bone Broth On Keto Diet?
Bone broth is mostly water and contains moderate amounts of protein, fat, and little to no carbs. It is loaded with minerals and vitamins. It contains electrolytes, which are especially important to consume on the keto diet as the keto diet cuts out two big sources of natural electrolytes: starchy vegetables and fruit. This way it also helps in preventing keto flu. Therefore, bone broth is considered to be keto-friendly!
How To Make Bone Broth Keto?
Most bone broth is already low-carb. But to really make it more keto-friendly, just add a bit of MCT oil or powder. The combination of collagen, fat, and MCTs will help you stay in ketosis while reaping the benefits of broth.
What Are The Best Bones For Making Bone Broth?
Bones from organic, pastured, and grass-fed animals are the best choice. Use the full chicken or turkey carcass, necks, backs, and feet. Meaty bones like oxtail, shank, and short ribs add a lot of flavour to bone broth. You may add extra wings and thighs to chicken or turkey bone broth. Chicken feet are the best source of gelatin.
How Many Calories Are There In A Bone Broth?
A cup (240 ml) of broth from chicken, turkey, and beef bones has around 80 calories, most coming from fat (76%) but also protein (20%) and carbs (4%).
How Often Should You Drink Bone Broth?
Its consumption depends on the nutrient composition of the broth and how that fits into your daily diet. You can tailor your bone broth consumption for your specific health goals. On the keto diet, boost up your protein, fat, and sodium intake with 2-3 cups daily. That should be enough!
Where To Buy Bone Broth?
Even though you can make it yourself, sometimes you just need to know where to buy bone broth. Bone broth can be found at the grocery store in liquid and powder form. Canned and frozen broths are also easy to find at almost any store, but also online. Make sure to check the label before buying.
What Are The Benefits Of Bone Broth?
- It is an excellent way to improve your gut health.
- Helps in increasing skin elasticity, strength, smoothness and makes you look younger.
- Boosts immunity.
- Enhances bone health and reduces joint pain.
- Replenishes electrolytes (sodium, magnesium and potassium) and eliminates the symptoms of keto-flu.
What Are The Different Ways Of Using Bone Broth?
- Drink the bone broth as a hot, comforting beverage.
- Use it an excellent liquid ingredient in slow cooker recipes stews and soups.
- It can be used as an ingredient in sauces as well.
- Use it as an elixir for colds and flu symptoms.
- It works great as an electrolyte replacement before, during and after the events.
- You can also make gelatinous keto-friendly snacks like sugar-free gummy candy out of it.
- Supplement with bone broth protein or collagen powder by putting it in a smoothie or protein shake
By Dr Seema Nanda
Refer to her blog for more updates on Health and Wellness.